Summers are approaching and it is the time to visit the beaches again, however, not with the love handles and double chins. It is also the time to invest in a good gym and get your summer body back, however, many people shy away from doing so. People struggle with gym anxiety wherein they fear being judged or laughed at even at the thought of entering a gym.
However, one must remember that they are not alone and that gym anxiety plagues millions of people across the globe. One grapples with gym anxiety when one is not confident about their looks and unsure about how to use particular gym equipment. Nevertheless, there are ways to combat this issue. Some of these are:
- Taking a group fitness class – Taking a group fitness class can greatly alleviate the anxiety one has in the initial few days of joining a gym. It can be comforting to know that everyone around is new and that everyone is getting to know each other. The friendliness that pervades such classes can easily take the stress out of the situation.
Focusing on your workout – When one is focused on their workout, they are least bothered by what others think about them. One must focus on achieving something every day, no matter how small a milestone is. If one is in need of better focus, one might plug in their headphones and listen to their favorite playlist.
Talking to the fitness instructor – Instead of missing out on exercises, wondering how to do them or shirking from using an exercise machine because of lack of knowledge, it is better to talk to the fitness instructor. These professionals would be more than willing to extend help. Therefore, do not shy away from asking them in case of doubt.
- Avoiding going solo – Instead of marching up the driveway of a gym solo, one can make an entry with a friend or a companion. This can greatly boost one’s morale and alleviate the stress of joining a gym alone. Further, the thought of spending some quality time with the friend would keep one motivated and ensure that they attend the gym regularly. Setting fitness goals would also help.
Exercising or not during peak hours – Peak hours may get quite stressful due to the rush. Therefore, one must avoid that time to derive the maximum benefit of visiting a gym. Schedule your gym visit in the wee hours of the morning, late afternoon, or late evening to avoid the rush hour and exercise at your will and time. On the other hand, visiting a gym during peak hours can be helpful if someone wants to learn about how different people use different equipment.
- Bringing along fitness mentor – Sometimes, bringing along one’s fitness mentor can help in coping with the stress. They act as companions. Nevertheless, one must ensure that only positive people are around them. Further, fostering friendships in the gym and exercising with the new found friends can be a positive experience.
- Researching online – the Internet can be of great help, especially, when researching about new equipment, an exercise form like Zumba or Pilates, and so on. Seeing related videos can familiarize one with what to expect, dispelling the anxiety associated with the unknown.
- Ensuring comfortable clothing – Wearing comfortable clothing suitable for the kind of exercise you would be doing can be extremely helpful and can increase one’s comfort and confidence level.
Seeking help for anxiety
Life is beautiful. It can be made even more fruitful by concentrating on one’s health. This can be done by visiting a gym, a couple of times a week. Regular gym workouts can reduce stress and enhance one’s mood by helping manage or alleviate the symptoms of anxiety. They can also tone muscles and help one achieve their dream body.